Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Story and a Thank You!

I was very privileged to attend the TPD District III Workshop. The purpose was to introduce the citizens of District III to their officers and to learn "how things worked" and how to help TPD to help the neighbors. Chief Hogue , Assistant Chief Castor and Major Guidara were in attendance along with SAC, and QUAD officers, and many street level officers. It was a good workshop and even I who have been in many meetings with TPD learned some new things.

I was very disappointed in the turn out. I have listened to many who say they think TPD isn’t as accessible as they would like, who don’t understand whom to call about what, but when the opportunity is given to meet the officers who serve us, to put a face with the name and open a relationship, many did not show up! What a shame.

However, like I said, I learned some new things and enjoyed hearing what the various officers had to say.

Then I drove home. As I turned onto Shadowlawn from Nebraska, I looked down my street and saw several red and blue lights blinking and a congestion of cars. A rare event on Shadowlawn
I drove close to the gathering and called my neighbor to make sure she was ok, as it was in front of her house. Then I parked and got out of my car and walked to her house. There were two patrol cars, and three undercover cars surrounding one citizen car. There was one man in handcuffs. I stood with my neighbor on her porch and watched and in a few minutes one of the officer’s came over to tell us what happened.

The officer in the unmarked car had made a drug buy from the man in handcuffs, at the Touchdown convenience store on the corner of 15th and Hillsborough. I loved hearing that. When we first started going on vehicle patrol four years ago, that store had been a Farm Store and they were ALWAYS selling drugs in that parking lot, as well as up and down the street. It has been a much more invisible problem the last year. The kind of problem you do not see as you pass by in your car but you suspect is still there. So as I looked at this collection of Tampa’s finest, having just come from the workshop, I felt that in spite of all the blinking lights and the intrusion on our street things are pretty good in the heights. Thanks in part to TPD.

Thank you Major Guidara and staff. Thank you very much!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that major..

Anonymous said...

You are right, Sherry. Our neighborhood has enjoyed the wonderful cooperation of Chief Hogue, Asst Chief Castor, Major MacNamara and now Major Guidara in our efforts to get things cleaned up around here. What has happened here lately with regards the lack of participation in the events is that the new folks moving into the neighborhood are not at all familiar with the history of the work that has been done by some of us in previous years to make it what it is now. They just think that it was like this always.

Jay McGee said...

Sounds like a great meeting to attend. I don't think it was advertised very well!

Anonymous said...

Please .this is a very serious post

I have a neighbor who walks her dog down Hanna to central.She mentioned to me over the weekend that she has been approched twice by a man parked in the Methodist church on the corner there.
For drugs He asked her if she was "straight" Did not know what that was in refrence to but she found out.

Anyhow she stated he has parked there twice she is aware of.
Will the police be able to swing by there off and on?

thanks!
C

Anonymous said...

Concerned,

This is the exact type of situation that your neighborhood watch coordinator should be aware of. They will pass the information on to the correct department with the police.

In any situation like this forward as much information on the time of day, the individual - description, clothes, location, etc - so that the police may be as effective as possible in their followup.

CouldBeSherry said...

I cannot say how it was advertised in other areas of District III, but for SESH I can say it was sent in the email three times, is is on the web on the front page, and I put it on this blog twice. In addition TPD has sent it everywhere.

Think all that we did not do was call every neighbor personally!

Anonymous said...

The major is making a huge difference in my opinion..
Didnt I read on the blog they were working with code?
That is most impressive to me.
The teamwork.
We have all known for years one agency cant do it on its own..
Like the FBI and CIA intelligence failures and 9/11.

Anonymous said...

One of the things is that the neibbors are "meeting out" Count the email, look at the website, they keep coming. At some point you must pick and choose your meetings. Currently/recently there was SECH General meeting, Mayors meeting, County townhall meeting, dog day in park, ByGosh, TPD, tower concert, Porch party, I am sure if I though harder I could find even more. There just is not enough time in a month to attend the meetings, stay married and keep a job!

Anonymous said...

and then there are those who don't attend any of the aforementioned events/meetings and complain when nothing ever changes/happens in the 'hood! From one extreme to another.

Anonymous said...

I’ve been ignored, called a MILF and remembered as a Princess but the fact remains that I am the best qualified, most educated with varied experiences and commitment for Hillsborough County Commissioner. The current County Commission race is straight out of Jerry Springer. Here there is a local candidate that served as a Combat Medic, worked for the Health Department and even had foster children and all the media wants to write about is how Norman has hurt us and Redner is a loose cannon. Yes I’m a Geography Teacher meaning I understand world governments and world religions in a County that has international ports. And yes I went to Leto c/o 88 meaning I understand the uniqueness of each area and all 3 cities within. I’m a member of the Sheriff’s Hispanic Advisory Council, CTA, NAACP and just asked to join the Veteran Parade Committee.

Yamel Christina Arronte
www.arronte2006.com
813-385-1220

Bungalowlady said...

I hate everyone in SE and SSH. You guys stole our Major Guidara. :~) He is great! We loved him the short time we had him and now you guys have him. We have Teague though. She is also great - even wrote the law about harrassing NW. How fortunate we are to have such marvelous and approachable police.

This is the only place I've lived where I know the police right up to the Chief and Ass't Chief. How fortunate we are.

Anonymous said...

We stole him and he aint going anywhere unless the mayor wants a massive protest on her hands.
He!!, we are even trying to get him promoted we like him so much..