Thursday, October 05, 2006

Spelling and Grammar

Recently the Grammar Police cited this blog for bad spelling, incorrect grammar and other offense against the English language. I plead guilty.

I am actually a very good speller. However, I never learned to type properly. In Senior year of High School (Clearwater High School Class of '77) I signed up for Psychology and Typing. I was given Psychology in the first semester. Second semester I went to sign up for Typing and was told Typing was only offered the first semester. So hunt and pecking became my style. Over the years I became faster and faster with my pecking. Then computers came around. Over the years I sort of learned a fast two handed pecking, but I still have to look at my fingers. I am trying to type by just looking at the screen but I am not very good that way. I find I make the same mistakes all of the time. to becomes ot. and nad. a mother am other. In Microsoft Word no big deal, since it's underlined in green or red depending on spelling or grammar.

In the blog, the spell checker does not do that. It also does not show me where my spelling mistake is, or the context the mistake was made. So I skip using that.

Many times I am blogging late at night, (BWD - Blogging While Drowsy) or I am blogging in a hurry. Sometimes I feel like the blog is Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors, "Feed Me Seymour!"

Does that excuse poor spelling or bad grammar? No. Just explains it. Blog postings should have good spelling and grammar.

Now to address comments. Bad spelling and grammar just add to the quirkiness of the back and forth commential dialogue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If anything is fair game in the comments, that should include grammar. Grammar police are not judgmental, they simply want to make the world a better, more gracious place!

Anonymous said...

o slap that wrist.

Anonymous said...

I agree. No one is asking for perfection. We all know that we are not perfect beings. But, we really should be more careful when it comes to our writing habits. It truly affects the potential of our expressions.