Thursday, October 05, 2006

Nastiness

An email:

"I'm very ignorant as to the proper do's and dont's with blogging so forgive me if I error. Lately there seems to be alot of unkind stuff on the blog about you moving to animals to road running and neighbors ...and a lot of insulting. I do not understand really? Is this normal blogging behavior? I do not know.

I am concerned that this will go away and or that the new blogger will just give in to the insults and such and say its not worth this. I hope not but I would like to know if this is normal behavior on a blog."

1. The Internet loses the visual cues and intonations that normal conversations carry that modify the words. Misinterpretations are easier to occur.

2. The anonimity of the Internet and that lack of the face to face interaction allows extremism to be easier.

3. Some people are just nasty, unhappy or sourpusses.

4. Sometimes the nastiness is entertaining.

5. I blow off most comments and don't take them personal, even if they are personal attacks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting this up .
Your a kind person and I for one will miss your musings
Thanks Big D.

Anonymous said...

Just remember...Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded

Anonymous said...

I think that it is just a way for people to vent. There are alot of stresses in our lives and this is just an outlet to relieve frustrations. I don't think that anyone should take anything personally here. Yes, it would be great if we lived in a perfect world, but we don't. Haven't you ever wanted to tell your next-door neighbor that you think he/she is stupid but unable to say it to his/her face? This venue is just a good way to be able to do so without creating any tension. There is good that comes from being able to be totally honest anonymously. It's like a confessional.

Susan said...

Cool, every blog needs a therapist. I agree that this is a venue for people to be totally candid. It's allows us a glimpse of what's stewing in the minds of this community. Some of the conversation is heated, but it's a safe way for all views to be vented. With so much stress and anxiety in our lives today, we could use more therapeutic venues.

Rick said...

I would disagree with the blog therapist. It sounds like a rationalization for nastiness and anti-social behavior. It is one thing to disagree with someone's perspective. It is quite another matter when it is done in the most ascerbic and personally insulting manner with the intent of demeaning another person. That is anti-social behavior and does very little to create any feeling of community.

Anonymous said...

True, but it probably keeps some of these nutbags from going on armed rampages.

Anonymous said...

that is very funny coming from Rick F. He has been one of the most contentious, adversarial, nasty people in our community over the years. He has no shame whatsoever.

Rick said...

At risk of anon 5:45 using this reply to claim as "proof" of contentious, adversarial, and nasty, I would personally love to hear/read your litany of all my terrible deeds. What exactly have I done to "our community" for which I should have some great shame?


If you can make it as entertaining as the "Seminole Heights Chronicals" post I can have a good laugh too.

ANONYMOUS attempts at character assassination is afterall the epitome of harmonious, diplomatic, and considerate discourse that our community needs much more of, and for which you should so proud. Please tell me all of your noble community minded acheivements. Your are such a wise sage that all should want learn at your blessed feet.