Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Fat Cats

The Creative Loafing recently had an article about a woman who is trying to use the Internet to get a lap band surgery.

What struck me about the article was this "Many things in the Browns' house are larger than life: her huge kitchen, three terribly obese cats, four plump birds that chirp incessantly, her extensive teddy bear collection."

I have seen other fat pets. Why?

Cats and birds (and dogs) don't get fat because they sneak into the refrigerator, or make nightly runs up to Krispy Kreme donuts, (like I do), or sit in their dog house watching Animal Planet on TV while munching animal crackers. They get fat because we make them so. We feed them. We make them fat. We slowly kill them with fatness. All we have to do is feed them less.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL my neighbors on both side have "fat cats" one looks like a wise guy..the way he walks...lol
and the other one is a huge butterscotch colored kat named Mr Buddy..they are cute.

Can cats have the "glandular weight " problem like "humans"?

YesterDazed said...

Yes, they can. I have a surly female who looks like the model for the artist Kliban's kitty drawings. She's very bottom heavy. She really doesn't eat much, compared to my other cat...she does, in facte, has a have a slow metabolism...and her habits are cast-in-stone now, at her age, she cannot be cajoled or incited to move around more to work off fat and build up an appetite.
I say she's surly, but actually she's quite a beautifule and loveable cuddly baby, to me anyway. She just has an attitude problem about men!
She didn't get that from me, I swear LOL!

Anonymous said...

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllhow funny..
aw your kitty sounds cute tho
and man i love cats.......

i actually have two rabbits from over at lake roberta and hey they mess with the cats here.lol
boy can they run..wooho.!!