Thursday, September 28, 2006

Home Repair Tale

Scott took a week off so we could get some "little" things done around the house before we put it on the market. He woke up the next day with a cold and has been snuffling and coughing his way through the projects. We had spent the two weeks before trying to line up handymen with zero results. We took blog readers advice and called The Seminole Heights Handyman who returned our call, showed up on time to look at our project and is coming tomorrow to start work on the bathroom. Which leads me to this question. What is the easiest way to get a clawfoot tub out of the bathroom? We had heard that it takes four men to carry one, but Mike, the handyman says Scott and he can lift it. We were going to see about a dolly that we could set it on to roll it out of the room. Is there a dolly for that job?
Next question. Has anyone had success taking up the glue left from vinyl tile? I removed half of the tile a while ago and took the glue off by scraping which was not the easy way, I tell ya'. I was going to try my heat gun to soften the part that's been under the tub, but I recently read that you can use orange cleaners on some glue.
Our entire house becomes chaotic during home repairs. Cooking practically ceases because we're both too tired at the end of the day to even think about it. Every table top and level surface is covered with stuff moved from somewhere else. and housecleaning heads to the bottom of the priority list. On top of that, our geriatric dog has reached a new level of dementia. The upset in his household causes him to be anxious and he has spent the week barking monotonously at the wall while Ella hides in a corner. We bought a phermone spray mister to put near their beds. It's supposed to emit phermones that recreate their mother nursing them. It may have added to Sig's confusion, but it certainly hasn't done anything to calm either one of the dogs. Today I'm headed to the store to look for herbal calming remedies. All four us could use it!

13 comments:

CouldBeSherry said...

Zap Orange Cleaner from HD works on alot of adhesives. I use this stuff. in various strengths for almost everything. It is non toxic and I like that. Thinking a paint remover might also.

As to the dogs. Go to health food store, ask for Rescue Remedy. Carrie told me about it when we were on the home tour. We used it and people said, "you have dogs?" with great surprise. I have lent it to others and it always helps. I would lend to you but not sure who last person I lent it to, so don't have!

Tub, cast iron. Heave. Two men could move, but two men, shouldn't move far. Depending on your floors, a regular dolly like you move furniture on, would work and you can rent them from almost any tool rental place.

Good Luck!

AngelSil said...

I hear you on home repairs and chaos. We've been under more-or-less constant repairs for over 2 years now. I've gained 25 pounds because I have neither the time nor energy to cook right or exercise.

YesterDazed said...

I am on the Rescue Remedy bandwagon too! I can attest to it working great for cats as well! I used it for my 2 babies when we moved. And, I took it myself, for the move! It works on humans also. I found it at Nature's Harvest.

Anonymous said...

Be Careful when removing old tile. Most old tiles and linoleum have asbestos in the glue and backing.

Anonymous said...

There are diets that help with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction syndrome. You may want to check with your veterinarian about them.

luckytop said...

I would do the dog and myself a favor and have it put to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I think, luckytop, that you should definitely take your own suggestion, leaving out the dog part of course!

You could do us ALL a favor!

Susan said...

Thank you all for the helpful advice. Except for the part about putting our family member to sleep! He's frail, but I can only hope to be as happy and healthy as he is when I get that old.

We're ordering the Rescue Remedy online because the two stores I had time to shop at(Dog Lover's and Nutrition S'Mart) didn't have it. Benadryl and valium don't work on Sig's anxiety. I will look up the dietary advice for canine cognitive dysfunction. I packed away my Whole Dog Journal, darn it!(great publication) I'm afraid my conventional vet will only want to prescribe medication. Pharmaceutical companies have them wrapped tight.

Our vinyl tiles were put in by an investor in the 1990's, so I don't think we need to worry about asbestos, but that is a concern in these old homes. We have the orange cleaner and the dolly and we're ready to tackle the bathroom. I think. Gulp.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for you! Man, I hope it all goes well!

Anonymous said...

Mr Breadman?

Why do they refer to you as Mr.Breadman?

I am curious

Susan said...

Latest update...the tub is out of the bathroom. It came politely out of the room and is sitting on a dolly waiting to be painted. Siggy did not respond to the calming remedy I bought, so I'm running to Abby's today after the garage sale to get Rescue Remedy.

As to the Breadman question, we are fortunate to be a neighbor of his. He is an incredible young man from Belgium who was dissatisfied with the taste of bread here. So, he built a brick oven in his backyard and began baking pizza. When he had it perfected, he invited neighbors over. It was the best pizza I'd ever tasted. Then, he started baking bagels. He stays up on Saturday nights making dough, then walks around Sunday morning delivering the most outstanding bagels. He spreads love and comfort and makes me want to know more people from his country.

Anonymous said...

jaded1:
contact me via my website and we'll work something out. I have a backlog of people I have promised bagels to (...you know who you are...) but I can put you on the list. Click Here

Anonymous said...

What a rise I got from the question

lol .....just kidding folks



So How DID you get into the bread circle of love and is there a free seat available

thanks you all for posting this stuff
Some days your the bread winner some days your the heel of it

thanks you all here are great .....cept you annoynius 1:37