Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sometimes I wonder . . .

Sometimes I wonder about people who run things.

Illegal roosters. Sounds like a simple thing to deal with. Not according to this blog commenter.

"I have a homeowner a couple of doors down from me who thinks having a rooster in their back yard is cool. The F!$@%ing rooster starts at about 4:30 every morning and has done so for a month. The owner has told other neighbors that the rooster isn't going anywhere, and it's legal to own one in Tampa.

So, I wait for it to go off at 4:30am and call TPD to file a disturbing the peace complaint.

TPD response: Call Animal control, we can't do anything about it.

My response: Call animal control, report rooster in city limits.

Animal control response: As far as we're concerned, having a rooster in the city limits is legal, it's a city code violation, call code enforcement.

My response: Call Code Enforcement, report illegal rooster.

Code's response: We'll send a letter and wait 21 days to inspect the property, if the rooster is still there after 21 days we'll send another letter, wait another 21 days and inspect again. If it's still there after that we'll send another letter and wait another 21 days. If it's still there after 21 days we *may* file charges and bring the owner to court where we *may* give them another 21 days, or we *may* fine them.

So I guess I have approx another 80 days of being woken up at 4:30am with absolutely nothing I can do about it.

In my short experience with Code, Animal Control, and TPD, I think they all suck."

Here is my solution. Tampa City Council passes an ordinance that provides Animal Control the authority to deal with any illegal roosters, hens and other fowl. If farms animal are not allowed in City limit, then Animal Control can deal with it. Anonymous - ask your City Council representative about this and let us know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

call your neighbor at 4:30 every morning until they block your number then start using your cell phone to call every morning.

I hear a rooster in the a.m. also some times over by Hanna Ave

Anonymous said...

Another reason the Code Department Leaders need to go (See previous post) The city of Tampa has zoning and code on the books now to deal with this, however, with inept leaders and lazy staff, no one is smart enough or diligent enough to see a situation to completion. Fire them all!

Anonymous said...

Ya know, is the rooster really a problem? Or are you just frustrated, sleepless, and need to try some Unisom from the friendly neighborhood Walgreens? Frankly I see many code violations that are so, so very much worse than a lil' feathered creature that was put on this earth by creation.

David Scott Banghart said...

Rooster person. Email me at dbanghart@yahoo.com. I have contact with someone who might be able to help.

Anonymous said...

Here is one way to look at it. If each "little" violaton was eradicated, more than likely, there would be no "more serious" problems. If it is in the codes, enforce them. By them constantly changing rules and codes, they have allowed the mess we have today! Start cleaning the city by sweeping out the code office.

Urban Eater said...

Once (while living in Austin, TX) I had a chicken move into my attic. It didn't make too much noise, but it would roost on the roof and try to attack you if you took to long to get into your car. She would perch right over the drive way. Then one day, she was gone. Perhaps she made her way to someone's dinner table, you never know with Texans.
Tough situation for the Rooster owner. I'm sure they love their.....I almost did it. I almost stated the "other" word for Rooster.
We were all thinking about it.
I think calling the neighbor everytime the bird awakes you is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

COCK!!!!!!
I said it!