Sunday, January 28, 2007

Helping Black Kids

Today I read how Miami Herald Columnist Leonard Pitts is seeking to use his column further making a positive difference in the lives of black children.

"And here, I'm thinking specifically of black children. Black girl shot in the head because she lives in an urban war zone. Black girl going to school hungry in hand-me-downs. Black boy who couldn't tell you where his father was if you paid him. Black boy who couldn't diagram a sentence if you threatened him. Black girl who thinks she is unattractive because she is a black girl

"violence, poverty, fatherlessness, miseducation and self-esteem"

"Here's how it will go: I want to see e-mails from you on how we should approach -- how we can fix -- any or all of the five areas of concern (violence, poverty, etc.) listed above. But -- and this is important -- I don't want generalities and pet theories. Rather, I am asking you to steer me toward specific, concrete, up-and-running programs anywhere in the country that are showing demonstrable and verifiable results."

"Who in your community is doing good, forward-thinking work that the rest of us can learn from? Let me know. I will visit the most promising-sounding programs and profile them in this space. The idea is to share what we know and create a database of workable ideas that drives the discussion forward and inspires change."

Email him at lpitts@MiamiHerald.com. Let us on this blog know also by posting a comment.

Read his column for more.

1 comment:

Mal Carne said...

While reading this,I instantly thought about Ralph Smith and Computer Mentors. It's a great program that teaches basic computer skills to disadvantaged kids. Regrettably, my schedule has become a bit too full to spend much time volunteering with them anymore.
Link here