Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Joe Redner to Run For Tampa City Council District One

Joe Redner filed last week to run at-large for the District One seat. "Some of the stigma that I carry, I think I'm losing that, I think the people thought that I wasn't (legitimate) because I'm an adult business owner, I'm chipping away at that perception. I (just need to) reach that point that I convince more than 50 percent."

Say what you want about Joe Redner, but one thing is certain: He's no quitter.

Redner filed Thursday to run for Tampa City Council's District 1, a citywide seat. This will be his seventh run for public office.....

"I see what the special interests are doing to our community," Redner said. "We need someone in office who will have only the people's interests at heart. I pay taxes, I pay insurance, my grandchildren are educated in the school system. I see the problems we have."

If elected, Redner would focus on growth management by developing ways for new development to pay for itself. Only then, he said, will government have enough money to improve roads and other infrastructure.

Redner won nearly 40 percent of the vote against incumbent Commissioner Jim Norman and a third candidate in his bid for County Commission in 2006..

Redner faces a crowded field for the District 1 seat. City Councilwoman Gwen Miller, the incumbent, is running for re-election. Randy Baron, Julie Jenkins, Rick Barcena and Denise Chavez also have filed for the seat.

..................
I think Joe jumped into the right race. He's certainly got more name recognition than any other District 1 candidate including the incumbent: Gwen "Do-Nothing" Miller. With Gwen's fundraising woes, could the 7th time be the charm for Joe?

No comments: