Sunday, January 07, 2007

Extras

I was listening to NPR's weekend edition this morning and heard a pseudo interview of Tim Brookes appearance as an extra in a Indian Bollywood movie.

I had similar experience. When I lived in the Philippines, many movies were being made there. Apocalpyse Now is one of the more famous ones. My brothers went to the International School, a casting source for these movies. As a consequence they had the chance to be extras in several movies, including Purple Hearts. They got me involved.

I was an extra in two movies and read for a third. I was in Purple Hearts. My role was to be dressed up as a doctor and walk back and forth at the end of hall as background material. Won't find me on screen because it was cut out. And if it hadn't been cut out I would have just been tiny figure in the back ground. My brothers played soldiers and got to shoot off guns.

The next movie I was in, I got some great face time. At the time of production, the movie was titled American Ninja and starred Sho Kosugi. The producers were the Globus and Golan guys. I played a embassy security agent, who was checking the luggage compartment of a tour bus. I was doing this right behind the two main characters were having a conversation at the bus doorway. So I could not wait for the movie to come out. I come to the US and American Ninja comes out. I grab a video copy and find out this had nothing to do with the movie I was in. Hmmm. What gives. Later, I was in the video store and found a copy of Nine Deaths of the Ninja. It had to be the worst movie I had ever seen. Horribly bad. But, I did have a clear face shot in the movie.

Next, I was going to try to get a part in Missing In Action starring Chuck Norris. I actually did a reading of the lines of Tuck, the character M. Emmett Walsh played. Unfortunately graduate school intefered and I could not get a role. However my younger brother got a role. He played a sailor in a bar. Chuck Norris and I think Tuck are in the foreground talking. As you look past them you can see my brother, very clearly as a table.... talking to a topless bar girl.

1 comment:

Ben said...

You should check out the Apocalypse Now Director's Edition released several years ago. You may have been added.

When I was in the service, that movie was one of the favorites around the barracks. On a trip to Napa Valley last December, I made sure (much to the chagrin of my in-laws and my spouse) to pay homage at the Coppolla vineyard. They have all the movie memorbillia on display. Even the surfboard.

Ah, Valhalla...