Sunday, February 05, 2006

Urban Art - Real Art in Public Places

Well something I wrote about in prior posts has made it to the front page of the Tribune. We talked about this or related issues several times. Very significantly regarding Starbucks. Most recently Political Paper Grafitti , and the first time in Iron On Resistance.

I like guerrilla art. I don't like spray paint because it is permanent and causes more harm. I don't tend to have a problems with wheat paste posters, escpecially when placed on plywood or metal. It does not last long and easier to clean off. I like the discusions it engenders, the feathers it might ruffle in the staid art community. I like art being out in front of everyone, real public art. Art not inhibited by bureaucratic procedures.

I've been exposed to guerrilla art before. A famous group is Guerilla Girls. One of guerrilla art activity I really liked was a USF Art student who put up fake plaques around St. Petersburg, honoring things not not usually honored.

No comments: