Monday, February 13, 2006

Fishing with Sharks

Sunday, Susan and I went to look at used cars.

Buying a used car is not one if my favorite things to do. The biggest reason is the sharks aka used car salesmen. Have you ever watched them when you pull up to the lot? Like a pack, they mill around the front of the car lot building and then one of them cuts out straight to us, the latest victims. Usually my role is to fend off the shark so Susan can look at the cars in peace. I often wish I had a bang-stick with me.

As a consequence we have discovered the virtues of Carmax. Beffiting their lower key, lower pressure method of operating, they don't have sharks. They have zombies. When we come in the door they sort of amble over to us, giving us plenty of time to escape out into the car lot. (You have to go into the building to get to the cars.) If you stand in one place one will eventually catch you, but by that time you are ready for their help. Another benefit of Carmax is I can look at the cars online. We've bought two vehicles there and have been happy.

So we started off at Carmax and got some ideas of the cars we wanted but still wanted to see more. We then drove down Florida Avenue, south of Fletcher to all the dealer used car lots there.

This time I had a method of dealing with the sharks. We did not get out of the truck! I was using my truck as a shark cage.

The first stop was Bob Wilson Dodge and see the sharks get a little agitated there, but no real movement.

So next we hit University Chevrolet. They have some good signs making it easy to find the used car section. Not a lot of cars though. The sharks must have been feeding off another customer.

Then next was Hondaland where we had a close encounter with a shark. I entered their maze of used cars and saw a shark eyeing me. I avoided eye contact, as eye contact just encourages them. I had to back up the second aisle I went into and I see the shark headed my way. Again I avoid I contact and keep going. However I must have been bleeding somewhere because he kept coming. I reach the last aisle and have to turn around. (Again a Mini Cooper would have been very useful) The shark comes nearby and actually bangs on my shark cage ( I mean truck) as I pass. I go into the third asle and he circles again for another attempt saying something. I figured I have been rude long enough and barely crack open the window and hear him say that the way out is the next aisle over. I tell him I'm just looking before I shut the window tight and keep driving. I know this was a ploy to engage me in conversation, and then get me out of my car. Fortunately we escape unharmed.

Next we hit Ferman Chrysler, which is easily marked as to where the used cars are and easy to drive through. We head back home to safety, passing by Ernie Haire Ford, where we did not even attempt to look. We ruled that out because the sharks there are so bad, so eager to feed, that they are creepy. They are oily. Gives me nightmares just thing about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to see a distinct absence of the used car dealerships in SH from your list. I was dearly hoping after reading the first few sentences that I didnt read about any patronage for these blights in our community. While the ones on North Florida Ave. are still unsightly, there is at least an effort to make them more attractive if for no other reason than to entice buyers. The ones down in SH are truly an eyesore with no redeeming qualities and should be avoided like the plague they are.

Anonymous said...

I, too, dislike those species of shark, and their not so distant relatives, the furniture store sharks. I guess it must still be profitable, but we will walk out of any business when the sharks school around us and spend our dollars at places with lower pressure tactics. I truly feel like I need a shower after even limited interaction with some of these creepy dudes. I had hoped that the era of Internet shopping would have been the death knoll for these antiquated sales practices, but that hasn't happened just yet I fear.

Anonymous said...

Depending on the kind of car you want, you may want to try Advant. It is on Florida on the W side. The cars tend to be upscale cars and all are used. The salesmen are pretty knowledgeable and you can get a 100,000 extended warranty that the dealers will actually honor. Most of the cars are "off-lease" cars. But, they are well maintained and most have some of the manufacturer's warranty left. I bought a car there and have been very pleased with the results.