Friday, February 03, 2006

The Seminole Heights Brick Oven

Tonight was the monthly SE Seminole Heights porch party. I always find out interesting things when I go to these.

Tonight I discovered that SE Seminole Heights is home to an outdoor brick oven that resident August Vanderdonckt built.

"In August 2004 I decided I wanted to build a wood fired brick oven in my backyard. I bought Alan Scott's book "The Bread Builders" and started planning shortly after. I had zero building experience so I thought it would be interesting if I challenged myself to have a working oven by December 31st 2004. I was going to start in September but because Hurricane Season was particularly spicy around that time (we had hurricane Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne), I was unable to start the actual building until October. What follows is photo diary of the endeavor."

Why an outdoor brick oven? So he can bake bread with good crusts and make pizza without overheating his house.

According to the World Brick Oven World Map, there are only 4 brick ovens in Florida. This one and one in Lakeland, Miami and Jacksonville.

August, with this hot oven you are one cool dude!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/brickoven/

David Scott Banghart said...

Today, I was blessed by a visit from August the breadmaker. The bread he gifted us was very good. Thanks!