Friday, February 10, 2006

Starbucks on Davis Islands

As I was walking through the hospital, I passed by our Starbucks. Then a dim thought struck me? Didn't someone say something in one of the comments about Starbucks that there was no Starbucks on Davis Island?

On the other hand, places like Davis Islands - which, as it were, is pretty
loaded - is a relatively good model of "community." Everyone there knows the
name of the guy who owns the neighborhood ice cream/coffee joint Java &
Cream(Dennis), the man who owns Davis Islands Pharmacy actually works the
counter, Tate Brothers is not some multinational chain headquartered in Detroit
or Seattle or Singapore. There are generations of families who have lived there.
There are block parties dedicated to donating toys for needy children during the
holidays. These are certainly conscious residents who have carefully navigated
DI's path for decades. I love seeing Davis Boulevard lined with mom & pop
shops, eateries, etc. It's refreshing to be on a little island bereft of
Starbuck's, McDonalds, Wal-Mart, etc. Dale Mabry is more of an eyesore than any
used car lot could ever be!

Well, technically Davis Islands does have a Starbucks. And a McDonalds. And a Sbarro Pizza, Subway and a Taco Bell. Just go to Tampa General Hospital. It's a full blown Starbucks, not just one of those little kiosks or cart you see at other hospitals. I do not remember any Davis Island residents getting upset about it.

I say technically it is on Davis Islands, because it's not obvious that it is there. There are no signs on the side of TGH that say Starbucks. But is is there. And I imagine some money from the Island goes there. However, I would agree it is not the same as a Starbucks on downtown Davis Blvd.

(I often wonder how many residents walk up to TGH and go there to get something to eat or drink from the corporate chain stores we have. )

This caused me to think, why is Starbucks so demonized by some? Is it simply because it is a large corporation or is there something specifically evil they do? Inherently are all large corporations bad?

As large corporations go, are they not a more socially responsible one? I went to their website and read their PR on corporate social responsibility. Sounds pretty good to me.

As I read some of the comments, someone said something about Starbucks essentially being lousy coffee. Hmmm. I would not know because for me essentially coffee is coffee. I do enjoy a strong cup of cuban coffee. 2 of my co-workers love Starbucks coffee. They buy the Starbucks beans and grind their own coffee to drink at the office. I don't care and usually drink the generic stuff we get from our coffee service. Bland Poison as it is know around here.

I wonder if there have been blind taste tests to see if Starbucks is as bad as some say?

By the way there is a Starbucks Gossip Blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here you go fanning the flames again :-). Actually I believe I did make a mention of the Davis Island Starbucks in one of my comments where I was exploring the areas around Tampa where Starbucks is already a presence...

http://seminoleheights.blogspot.com/2005/12/starbucks-builds.html#113647132334104269

" Oh wait...imagine this..there's a Starbucks on Davis Island..guess Walmart will be taking over the Maternity Ward in TGH next..."

in response to some fears of Starbucks leading the way to a BigBox invasion.

From what I've seen Starbucks in the Tampa area has done little to alter the natural evolution of the neighborhoods in which they're located. If anything they are an indicator of the change not the catalyst for it.

AngelSil said...

Starbucks is a far better chain establishment than many. I have a number of friends who have worked there and the benefits and opportunities are quite good for an entry-level position. As for the coffee itself, I'm no conisseur but I prefer Starbucks to Indigo for taste.

Anonymous said...

Starbucks may be a target like McDonalds is. They're just a highly visible, massively corporate presence and they pop up everywhere. It's not uncommon, for example, to have two starbucks less than one block from each other in London. They're like human gas stations. "Fill 'er up with unleaded, please."

This overwhelming presence is what makes them a target. It doesn't matter that they started up as a mom and pop. They're just the poster child for all corporations.