Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Tampa in NYC and other food

From Randi Raaen on the SE sm Hts email list:

I spent a week in NYC, and while I was sitting in a Starbucks waiting for my walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, I picked up the Sunday NY Times. I was reading the Life and Leisure section and found a story about Tampa. The article was about a displaced "Foodie" from New Orleans. He is now living in Tampa ( because of Katrina) and is on a food quest in his adopted town. The article told a sad tale of woe and disappointment in the choice of restaurants found in Tampa. He described a land of "chain food" establishments serving mediocre food. The one bright spot in his food search was the Taco Bus! He rhapsodized about the taste of fresh cilantro and the authenticity of the food. Great article. He has a web site where he is "chronicling his Florida food adventures". His name is Kevin Lacassin in case anyone wants to check out his blog.

When I returned to Tampa today, Lester and I went to Nico's for dinner. As we were eating our burgers, former Mayor Dick Greco walked in to dine with two friends. His friends ordered the fried catfish. I wonder if they were sitting in the Elvis booth?

From the article:
"And Mr. Lacassin is planning to blog about the steak tacos and ceviche at El Taconazo, known in Tampa as the "taco bus."

"My whole meal was under $10," he said, "but I still think about the taste of the fresh ceviche and the perfectly seasoned steak on warm corn tortillas.""

No comments: