Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hanna and Orange Blossom crash today.

From one of our intrepid blog readers:

"About a block from my home around 3 p.m. today (Sat) a commotion...police, fire fighters, Hanna Ave. blocked off....it was car vs. light pole. Amazingly no loss of power, the pole was still live and the driver is ok, car looks totaled. Don't know how/why it happened, only one car involved. TECO truck just showed up. Cor. of Hanna Ave. & Orange Blossom. "


If any reader sees anything interesting and happen to have photos send them to me and I will post the info and photos. Let me know if you want your name used.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a homeowner on W Hanna and the traffic and SPEED is out of control. Drivers zoom down Hanna (both sides) with NO regard to our children and our pets. I have no children; however, I do have pets. My pets are indoor, but ever so often, one slips out unnoticed. I fear that a speeding driver will kill one. I can only imagine the horror of a child chasing a ball into the road. A tragedy WILL happen. Neighbors have tried to get the city to put in speed bumps, but because it is a "fire access", the city has denied requests. My neighbors and I are getting together to make the city do something, stop signs, a stronger police presence, anything, to stop the speeders before a tragedy happens. Any support is greatly welcomed. Please, if you are utilizing Hanna, SLOW DOWN!!!!

Anonymous said...

The answer is improving traffic on the God forsaken stretch of East Hillsborough from Nebraska to 56th.

People use Hanna as a secondary east-west road which of course causes crowding, speeding, etc...

Unfortunately I don't think the DOT's grand median plan on Hillsborough is the answer. I have no earthly idea how that will improve traffic flow. It's just going to get worse.

One partial solution is to make the green light at 40th and Hillsborough more than 40 seconds. During rush hour that light backs up 1/2 a mile sometimes while the north south traffic on 40th is minimal. The light at 22nd could be longer too.

I talked to a guy in Tampa traffic control about it and he was - not surprisingly - a moron.

Too easy a solution for these dingbats.