Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Fleas In the Hood

And I do not mean Flee from WMNF.

An email I got today: (And it was not from Flee)
"I came across your blog recently, and a phone call I just received prompted me to write to you. A listener called and said there's been an epidemic of fleas, and flea bites, going on in Seminole Heights. Now, I just moved to the neighborhood, and yes, I've been bitten a few times. But for all I know that's Seminole Heights in the Spring time. But maybe not. This listener said she has tried various offices at City Hall, to no avail. My question to you is : Do you and/or others think there's a problem with fleas in the neighborhood right now? Whattaya think?"

My personal opinion is that the fleas are worse this year. We use Frontline/Advantage on both of our dogs. I have sprayed the yard twice in last 4 to 6 months. I need to do it again. This is unusual as I never spray my yard as I am not keen on using chemicals. It feels as if we have had less rain this year and the longer it is dry the better the fleas like it.

However some complicating variables for us, is that I walk Ella in the hood. We never walked Siggy and Dickens. Ella picks up fleas from these walks and lends them to Siggy. Ella also is making our yard sandier as she runs around. Fleas like dirt - non grassier areas better.

So what do you guys think? Is the flea problem worse this year? Are we are going to have to flee the neighborhood?

9 comments:

Addison said...

Time to get some nematodes.

MonkeyNerves said...

I have a friend in Hyde Park with a back yard full of fleas too - and no pets! Weird. So far, I haven't seen any in my SH pet-free back yard.

Anonymous said...

We have lived in Seminole Heights for about 5 years now and the first few years were really bad in regards to the fleas. However there were so many stray cats and kittens. Animal Services has since trapped and taken all of those feral kittens. The problem does not seem quite as bad now but there is in fact a problem. Beware... when the first rains come the eggs will hatch and then you will truly grow frustated with the situation. What is the solution? Is there a solution?

Anonymous said...

My yard was totaly infested. I used scotts maxguard and they were gone overnight.

Better living through chemicals.

YesterDazed said...

I don't have a problem with my 1 cat yard right now, but in the past I've had good success with tobacco dust (a natural solution), scatter on your yard (grass or sand) just be sure to stand up-wind or wear a mask to avoid inhaling it (Unless you're already a tobacco user...then it probably doesn't matter).

CouldBeSherry said...

When the winter is mild, the fleas do not die,,,,,,,,,nor their eggs. When the weather is dry as it has been, they love it. It is worse than ever, but it is the mild winter and the lack of rain. I am hoping the rain which is falling today will help!

Anonymous said...

Fleas: Every year,about this time, my yard becomes flea infested. It's usually for only a short time. I have used Precor with great success. Precor is a growth inhibitor- it prevents the flea larvae from hatching. It is generally non- harmful to the environment and will last until washed away. The racoons and opossums who scuttle under my house are the usual carriers..also squirrels.

Anonymous said...

I have a bad flea problem. I had 8 cats living on or under my porch until a week ago; they have since moved to the house next to me. See the photos at http://branchavenuecat.buzznet.com/

This thread has been helpful. My lawn is mostly dead so the dirt is a contributing problem. I will get that Scotts Maxguard and see if that solves the problem.

When the Orkin guy was out last week, he said his kakhi pants got swarmed by 10-15 fleas while he walked through the yard. He said they weren't licensed to spray the yard but said you can get stuff at home depot.

The house next door where the cats live has a new lawn and gets sprayed by chemlawn every 6 weeks. They do not have a flea problem.

Once again this blog comes to the rescue!

Anonymous said...

Try the "do-it-yourself" pest control place on Busch and Armenia. I think the product is called "TalStar' and is supposed to be professional use only. It is expensive but works a lot better better than the stuff at Home Depot.