Monday, June 19, 2006

Insurance Horror Story

More on the Insurer of Last Resort

From a reader:

I have a very long winded account of the state of our state run insurance company that your readers might be interested in. Since it is the insurer of last resort - most of the homeowners in the area are forced to deal with them simply due to the age and construction of their homes and they could very easily end up in my position.

Thanks,

G. B.


My wife and I purchased our home in Seminole Heights back in March. As everyone knows, Citizens is the only homeowner's insurance that will cover houses of this age and construction. Why? Got me, these houses are built far more reliably than anything KB or Lennar is throwing up in the suburbs.

On May 31, we received a letter from Citizen's stating that our insurance would be cancelled effective June 17. The reason? The condition of our roof – described in the inspection report with the highly descriptive term "aging". The insurer of last resort in this state was canceling my policy over a vaguery.

As luck would have it, we'd already made arrangements to have the roof replaced – well, luck may not be the proper word for this situation. We took before and after pictures of the roof, provided them to Citizen's along with the work order and invoice for the roof by June 2 nd. Should be plenty of time and enough to show that the "aging" roof was no longer and issue, right? Oh no, the fun just begins at that point.

On June 5th I was told that I needed to provide a letter, from myself to Citizen's stating that the entire roof had been replaced. ?? Wouldn't the invoice and before and after pictures be adequate proof of that? So, I wrote a one-sentence letter stating exactly what they asked for and emailed it. June 6th, "we need a letter from the contractor stating that he replaced the entire roof". OK, now with a work order, pictures, invoice, and letter from myself they now need a letter from the contractor? What's next, a note from my mom? They received the letter via email on June 7 th.

On June 14th, I contacted my insurance agent – fully expecting everything to be cleared up. One would think that a full workweek since the last communication and every piece of proof that they requested provided to them post haste would be plenty of time to get this through the system. No No No No No, on the 14 th it was still in underwriting. On the 15th it was still in underwriting and the probable outcome was going to be that the case would not be settled by close of business on the 16th, leaving my policy to expire at midnight on the 17th.

Not to worry though, IF all of the evidence shows that I've replaced my roof, they'll reinstate the policy as if it had never been canceled. There was no possibility of extending the cancellation date, but I could rest assured that if everything came out OK, I'd be reinstated. Why do I not have a warm fuzzy feeling about that? What happens if my house burns down while they're still reviewing my policy and they feel that they need more evidence to support the fact that I have a new roof? "Sorry, I can't give you that, my house burned down, the roof is gone".

June 16th, neither of the letters that I emailed to Citizen's was signed, so they are therefore invalid and I will need to provide new copies with signatures. Providing new copies will not postpone the cancellation, but I still need to provide them.

So, it's June 17th, and I'm sitting in my uninsured home, considering what kind of damage control I need to do with my mortgage company to keep them from pushing their own, high cost/low coverage policy on me – or worse, foreclosure.

The worst part of all of this is that the only reason for this happening is Citizen's failure to act in a timely manner. Any item that they asked for, they received within 12 hours of the request. They have had all of the requested information in hand since June 7 th, yet could not manage to act on the situation. Why am I reminded of the employee of a State agency that I used to provide telecommunications service for, who's phone did not work for 3 months, but never reported it because it would mean more work for her once it was fixed? This is what happens when you let the state run a private company. The inefficiency is maddening.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in a 1923 bungalow and I obtained insurance from USAA although they just raised my annual premium by $450 - or 30 percent. About half of the increase was the Citizens bail-out which is a joke.

I'm glad my middle-class family of four can subsidize beach houses.

Anyway, between insurance and ridiculous property taxes, our brilliant leaders are going to kill the golden goose.

Living in Florida is not going to be affordable, if it isn't already there now. This is rapidly becoming a crisis.

Anonymous said...

just wait until tampa gets a direct hit. but then, i guess, things will be a mess for years and insurance hassles will be the least of it....

Anonymous said...

We're insured through Liberty Mutual Insurance. Our homeowner's policy is tied in with our auto insurance, so if we cancel our auto policy we lose the homeowner's insurance coverage. We pay double in auto insurance compared to other companies in the state, but we have a very good and reasonably priced homeowner's policy so we're happy with paying more in auto to keep us from the alternative. At least for now we are very thankful Citizen's is not our last resort.

Anonymous said...

Bless USAA - we live in a early 40's "bungelow/ranch" - both auto and home thru USAA and they are teh BEST! If we got an increase this year it was very small.

Anonymous said...

We too live in a 30's bungalow and we too are insured by USAA and yes, they are the very BEST!

Anonymous said...

i suggest checking with aaa for auto/homeowners.

Anonymous said...

AAA will underwrite the policies for Citizens - they have not had insurance options for houses over 50 yrs old for over a year.

Bungalowlady said...

USAA is only available to people who are a) military, b) the children of military or c) the spouses, grandchildren of military who had USAA back when. My father was an officer during WWII. I am not eligible as I have no been in the military and my father didn't use USAA because he didn['t know it existed. So many of us don't have that option.

Anonymous said...

Homeowner’s insurance in Florida has definitely gotten out of control. I live in a house in South Tampa that’s about 40 years old and is a few blocks from the bay. Despite the fact that it’s never had any kind of storm damage, our homeowner’s insurance has more than doubled in the past year. It’s bad enough to have to worry about your house getting blown away in a hurricane without having your insurance costs rise unreasonably sharply. At this point, the only solution I see is having better leadership in Tallahassee. From what I’ve seen, Jim Davis is the only guy with a reasonable plan – he’s proposed a “policyholder’s bill of rights,” the full plan of which can be seen at his website, www.jimdavis2006.com, and an article about it can be seen here http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/politics/14775203.htm?source=rss&channel=bradenton_politics. I’d recommend taking a look at it – it looks pretty sound to me.

Here is what he has been saying: "For too long the politicians in Tallahassee have been looking out for the interests of the big insurance companies," said Davis. "As governor, I'll use the authority of our state's highest office to hold insurance companies accountable for the way they do business and protect the rights of Florida's policyholders."

Mal Carne said...

As of today, my status is "reinstated-but we lost the photos". So.....which is it? Am I conditionally reinstated? Am I not reinstated? I've got nothing in writing saying what I am, so it's all worthless in the eyes of my mortgage company.

Anonymous said...

As for USAA - true it is not available to everyone. Guess we few in the 'hood are insured by them are the lucky ones.
What we deal with is a huge insurance company who - shock - runs their business like a business !!!! They may pay out a ton of claims after a storm BUT they still run in the black.......

Anonymous said...

Here's a blog that talks about Jim Davis' insurance plan: http://fcan.blogspot.com/

Regusted said...

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this! I also have an ongoing case with Citizens. I live in Lake Worth and the city has made me rebuild my house from the ground up, and of course Citizens is reluctant to compensate me, even though I have law & ordinance coverage in my policy. Contractors are no picnic either - I had to hire a claims adjuster. I also got majorly hosed by a fly-by-night company called Westurn Roofing - more details on that particular fiasco here: Westurn Roofing disaster. Thanks and good luck!