Sunday, April 30, 2006

More on Arson In Sulphur Springs

The arson in Sulphur Springs is occuring on or around the 1600 block of Mulberry. Last Thursday our friend was home on her first day of vacation when the arsonists struck her home (while she was there!). She has two houses side by side, only 10 feet apart. She was talking with neighbors and they noticed smoke. They rhought it was a barbecue. She went home and saw smoke coming fomr her house that was undergoing remodeling. She saw blanket on fire and put it out. She the nrelaized the floor was on fire from below. She went under the house and saw 6 fires. She went ot get a fire extinguisher and try to put thme out but the smoke was tom uch. Meanwhile her neighbors had called 911. Estimate of damage was about $30,000, including the newly laid kitchen floor.

I had found nothing about it at TPD website, Fire Rescue site, TBO.com or google news.

Just down the street on Mulberry in an unoccupied house was another previous fire, and there was one more somewhere near that area.

Police had good descriptions of the suspects.

I wonder if because it is in Sulphur Springs there is no media coverage and outrage.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was an Arson fire in Epps Park a few weeks ago. A person's pickup truck was set ablaze around 6 am. From talking to the homeowner, he said that someone had started the fire by lighting the small gas can in the back of the truck. The fire completely destroyed the truck and at one point causing an explosion of the internal gas tank. I live very close to Epps Park and am frequently calling the police about suspicious activity which is mostly teens getting high. I was once that age too and understand the social thing of drinking or smoking in a park but what gets me is the fact that they leave their trash in the park i.e. bottles, etc. Epps Park is a beautiful park and we need to keep it that way.

Lofty said...

We had a couple arson incidents here in Port Tampa in Jan/Feb. No media coverage beyond the weekly newspaper crime listings by zip code. They appear to be different from what you're experiencing in Sulphur Springs because the fires in two rental units in the same building followed the tennant, who demanded money from the owner after the first fire. According to the owner, police said they were sure it was arson but couldn't prove who did it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. It was frustrating to get no results when searching the papers, etc. A prime example of why this blog is valuable!!!!!

Grrrr. This sort of this gets me really upset. It's much worse than robbery - I never thought I'd have to worry about a%**#!%s setting fire to my little house.

I think that in general, unless these crimes occur in the suburbs, there is not a lot of coverage. I have actually had police tell me, "Well you DO live in the Springs" as if I should expect such things to happen.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that although my neighborhood was not really that bad when I moved in 3 years ago, things have definitely improved since Mayor Iorio was elected. Things seem generally cleaner, I see an increased police presence, and I haven't heard that response recently - but then I haven't talked to the police recently either. I will remember your suggestion for the future. Hopefully I won't have to talk to the police about ANYTHING for a long time. :)

Anonymous said...

Actually Asst Chief of Police Castor moved across the river several years ago - well before hooker patrol got cranked up and running but she still has a soft spot for SH having been the Major for the district (north of Hills) before being promoted to asst chief. It was always nice that she knew the issues/backstories to the situation when we needed to work with her nad she always kept us in the loop for vice and quad squad activities.

Anonymous said...

Lisa with TPD who coordinates District 2's Neighborhood Watch program is very friendly, prompt and professional. I called her recently about vandalism on Fern Street and she called me back immediately with all of the information.

I highly recommend folks who live in Seminole Heights and are concerned about crime should get to know her.

Lisa's work number is (813) 931-6541.

Mr. Banghart should give her a call and see if he can post her cell phone on this site.

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that there has been some ugly drug activity in my neighborhood and Off. J. Herron and Off. N. Heron, really stepped up and ceased the activity for the meantime. Hopefully, it only gets better... all I can say is JOB WELL DONE!!