Thursday, April 13, 2006

Schools

From an email:

What do you know about the area schools?

I think there is generally an attitude that the schools in the central Tampa area (Seminole, Tampa and Riverside Heights specifically) are "sub-par" and when I talk to many about possibly moving to the area they always bring that up, as well as the crime in these neighborhoods as being the reason they don't feel good about moving their family from either South Tampa or any of those outlying North Tampa areas.

I imagine the crime rate in central Tampa is probably higher than the other areas (though as a transplant from Sulphur Springs I practically feel like I live in a gated community), and there is certainly a lot of "good block/bad block," but are the schools really that bad?

D.J.



I don't have kids, so I do not focus on that. I think Broward Elementary has a good rep. Edison a lousy one. I heard mixed things about Hills High. I don't know what our FCAT school ratings are. Parent's what can you say?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/

Anonymous said...

My son is graduating from the magnet program at Blake High School. He has had nothing but positive experiences, with creative teachers and students. Blake has the highest AP exam passing rate in the county!

Anonymous said...

I can't speak for other area schools, but our daughter goes to Broward and we love it. I think you would be hard pressed to find teachers who care more about the students in any given area of county. Our child is attending Broward due to School Choice and we are grateful to the principal and faculty who truly want to make a difference.