Thursday, April 13, 2006

Jean Street Shipyard volleys back

Previously I posted about a great article in the Trib about the Jean Street Shipyard. In that posting I commented on some info some neighbors gave me about purported prior plans for development. Here is an email response I received tonight about my comments from someone who apparently knows the owners. Do I know the reality in this case? No. Was I fed info by disgruntled or misinformed neighbors? Could be. Perhaps readers around the shipyard might have a better sense.

"Mr. Banghart:

I am assuming that it is your commentary that appears regarding the Tampa Tribune Article written on Jean Street Shipyard. The way that I read the comment, it sounds as if you are questioning the motives of why John Brotherton has kept the shipyard as it is. I guess in a blog you have no obligation to check your sources of information. However, I feel compelled to inform you, and I know this information first hand, that in lieu of development of the property, and at great personal sacrifice and expense to himself, Mr. Brotherton has attempted to preserve the shipyard and its historical aspects for the benefit of his son and his daughter, and for community. He loves history. He loves the ability to restore antique boats and in the process "touch" and "re-live" a little history. The shop building in which he performs his works of art, and what are really works of "lost art" is also a piece of history. Jean Street Shipyard is truly a unique place, nestled down among the homes of Seminole Heights, and Mr. Brotherton is truly a unique and special person to try so hard in the face of so many uphill battles to preserve what the neighborhood should support, endorse and embrace. Perhaps, even though you may not have the obligation to check your sources, as a good neighbor, who wants to promote good things about Seminole Heights, you should be more cautious about things you print on your site. People tend to blindly believe what they read. Perhaps if you feel compelled make comments that could color how people view Mr. Brotherton and the shipyard in general, at least make inquiry to him, and do not rely on some uninformed hearsay statement."

1 comment:

Jay McGee said...

As to heed the words of the author and not take info blindly, if this info is true, I take off my hat and offer big kudos to Mr. Brotherton for his efforts! I look forward to stopping by the 'yard and checking out a bit of S.H.' history!