Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Home Renovation Permits

I'm considering the removal of a 4'x4' addition to my 1923 home in Old Seminole Heights. It was added on long after the home was built and was constructed poorly. The result is it seems to be falling off the house I bought only 6-7 months ago.

The section has the home's water heater inside of it and is covered by an extended section of roof. The relocation of the water heater and removal of the section will simplify further home improvements, such as raising a sagging section of the house and adding a back deck.

All that said, I'm curious of the advice my experienced, do-it-yourself neighbors have to offer in regards to pulling permits/inspections for these types of home improvements. I want to comply with all legal formalities, without overcomplicating them.


Anonymous said...

You should do what the jackass next door to me did. After sitting vacant for almost 2 years, Austin Industries finally sold the house to a guy who cared even less about permit ordinances, city building code,etc. Just hire some undocumented workers to surrepticiously live in the house while they gut it, throw the constuction garbage in the yard, along with the trash from daily food deliveries, and ignore the stop work order from the city. You should be finished in a month or two, saving yourself thousands of dollars in unnecessary fees.

Anonymous said...

I agree, f them, you will just get po ed listeing to some pontificating clerk telling you you need a handicap access rail on your step or some other bs. 4 x 4 addition is nothing, no one gonna see or care, knock down the sob and side over it and move on.

NewHeightsMag said...

Got this message today from the city. Geez ... they don't make it sound easy:

Since you are in the Seminole Heights District you will need to contact our Architectural Review Department for demolition approval 813/274-8917. You will need a plumbing permit if you are relocating the water heater ($41.50). And a partial demolition permit $33.00 (after ARC approval). If you homestead the property and you are doing the work you can obtain the permit as the homeowner. If you are hiring a plumbing contractor for the water heater you will need the plumbing contractor to obtain the permit. Thank you Janet Fowler Lead Permit Tech 274-3134.

Anonymous said...

So what can they do to you if you don't follow their rules?

Seminole Heights said...

You only need ARC if you are in the historic district so double check that.

I pulled permits for building the shed/studio in the backyard. As I wired the shed myself, the city electrical inspector was very helpful. I feel confident the work I did was done correctly and to code and this the place is safe.

I pulled permits from the kitchen renovation I did. The plumbing and electrical inspectors were also great and very helpful.

Get the permits. It is the right thing to do. If you get caught you could get triple fined.

From the City Website:

The following work needs a permit:
New construction, additions, remodeling of any building or building system

Demolition work. Click here for the permit application, and here for Environmental Protection Commission instructions and application, and here for demolition permit application instructions.

New roof covering, or replacement of roof coverings over 500 square feet

Stucco or siding work over 500 square feet

Any work associated with changing the occupancy of a building

Residential accessory buildings and residential driveways over 150 square feet

Any gas work

Any mechanical work except for self-contained air conditioning units three tons or less with a factory-installed cord or plug

Plumbing work on any building, water/sewer lines, septic tanks, wells and fire lines

Any electrical work

Tree removal, grade/fill work, site clearing greater than 500 SF

You can do the following work without a permit

Minor, non-structural repairs that does not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or any part thereof, with the approval of the building official or his designee

Repair faucets or valves, and unstop clogged drains and sewer lines

Install A/C units less than 3 tons not connected to duct work

Painting, cabinets, carpet, vinyl tile, and gutters, and certain types of fences.

Removal of trees not on the protected list such as Male Mulberry, Australian Pine, Eucalyptus, Chinaberry, Cherry Laurel, Brazilian Pepper, Monkey Puzzle, and Silk Oak

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend a handy man to sister up some joist and replace some siding? I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the post on the blog.

IFly said...

Mike Handley I know does siding, not sure if he does joists. We had him replace some wood siding a while back, and he did an exceptional job.

Anonymous said...

Doing your your own work and pulling permits is not a big deal. I have done it twice between two houses without a problem. Most of the inspectors have been very helpful along the way (like everywhere there are a**es that will give you a hard time). In the overlay district area there is no ARC review but they do have to review it at construction services to make sure that you are not violating the limited overlay rules.

I did everything but the plumbing for an addition in South Seminole Heights. In OSHNA I just did the electrical and had the contractor do the rest.

You can build a storage shed up to 150 sq ft (up to something like 12') without a permit.

Homeowner permits do come with a caviat....can't sell within a year of the permit closing.

--Rick F.

Dreamtime said...

hi there, i need some help. i am an investor new to tampa and i didnt know u need permits to do work as in tennesse i didnt require it. in anycase a neighbour made a complaint abt noise so now the permits roll out. However we were near completion of work which was recovering the "old roof", siding and building a storage shed which is less than 150sqft. where do i go from here? i cant hire someto do the work thats done and as i am not intending to live in it i am also stuck. any advice or help would be greatly appreicated

Seminole Heights said...

1st - determine whether you are in the City of Tampa, or the county. In the City, as the homeowner you are allowed to do the work on the home yourself. Check out the City of Tampa Construction Services site http://www.tampagov.net/dept_construction_services/
for more details. For example from the FAQ. "10. Is a permit needed to do any kind of work?

You can do the following work without a permit:

* Repair faucets or valves
* Unstop clogged drains and sewer lines,
* Install A/C units (less than 3 tons), not connected to ducts,
* Painting
* Install cabinets
* Install carpet or vinyl tile
* Install gutters
* Install roofing of 500 square feet or less
* Install stucco or siding of 500 square feet or less"

13. Do I have to hire a contractor to do the construction work?

You must hire a contractor to do your construction work, except under the following conditions.
* You are the appropriate type of contractor
* You are a residential property owner who does the work yourself on your own residence
* You are a commercial property owner who does the work yourself, and the total cost of all work is $25,000 or less, and the property is for your own use and not for resale

14. What can I do under a homeowner permit?

A homeowner can hire laborers to assist them in the work, provided the laborers are supervised by the homeowner and the homeowner complies with the Florida Statutes regarding worker's compensation, insurance and payroll taxes. A homeowner can contract the different areas of the building construction to the appropriately licensed contractor for the different categories of work, but cannot subcontract any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical work, for which he or she has obtained the permit.