Saturday, September 24, 2005

Smoking and business suicide

It's funny how some businesses sabotage themselves.

Today I went into Judy's Treasure Chest on Florida Avenue to look at her antiques and stuff. Immediately upon entering the store I was assaulted by cigarette smoke. Very strange as there is a no smoking sign on the door. As I go deeper into the middle of the store I find the answer. The person running the store, presumably Judy, has a lit cigarette in her cash register area, resting in an ashtray along with the butts of several used up ones.

Had I been by myself I would have walked out immediately. However I was with others and so I browsed, retreating to the edges of the store where the smell was less obvious.

Not does this make is uncomfortable to shop, all of the items in the store would be impregnated with a cigarette smell, especially linens, so I would not bring them home to my non-smoking home.

Everyone I was with said they do not plan to return because of the smoking.

Afterwards I spoke to someone else who had visited the store around the last OSHNA Home Tour. He was a smoker and found it odd that smoking was going on in the store. His friends also did not want to stay. He commented that aside from alienating customers, it is against the law to smoke in public buildings.

Why do business owners do things like this to themselves, I do not know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Don't be a wimp, a little cig. smoke won't kill you.

Anonymous said...

i agree with you david, smoking in that kind of store is a big "turn off".