Sunday, June 05, 2005

Whistlestop Cafe

Well, the rumors are out that Ms. Vivians' Whistlestop Cafe has closed down. Certainly there is a for rent sign in the window. If it is closed down, it is no surprise. Several people have told me that they could not recommend the place. I've been told that the food was not all that good and it was somewhat pricey. Furthermore there had been some customer service issues. Personally I never ended up there because it opened up too late for breakfast (9:00 AM!!) and the menu did not thrill me, given the prices.

When will these restaurants ever learn (see my prior post). As I noted earlier there are some basic rules for making it as a restaurant in Seminole heights. Consistency in food and hours, and good customer service. The 2 best examples are Niko's and 3 Coins.

Martha's place on Nebraska has still not opened up. Next weekend I will try to find out why not.

1 comment:

Jay McGee said...

Yeah -- Rigo's was my favorite restaurant. Then their hours went screwy and many a time I'd show up and they'd be closed. (But I still tried!)

Then there was Whistlestop. I was there for the day after opening. Not was the service slow, but they messed up my order horribly. Two eggs, sunnyside up = Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuit. Sent it back and got something completely different again -- but just settled because I had already waited over an hour. (And it was cold. Yum, cold eggs!)
They liked to talk to certain people too much there and if there was a problem with the order, they didn't make any special effort on speed to fix it. I think the fact that a teenage daughter was the primary wait staff and a "couple" ran the business made it tougher on them to critique each other when things were going wrong.