Thursday, June 09, 2005

Clarification about Giddens Park posting

In one of my prior postings about Giddens Park I referenced an article by the St. Pete Times and I stated: "Beverly Morrow says this is for the children and she doubts that the children won't care what the fountain looks liked. I think that more than children will be looking at his artwork. Anyone who goes into the park or drives by will see the art work."

Based on an email I received, I am posting a clarification. The reporter apparently did not complete the quote Ms. Morrow told the reporter "that the art selection is of more concern to the adults. The children would not care if the selected art work is spinning tops, croquet equipment, or jacks a ball." She also told the reporter that "the interactive fountain is for the children and her primary concern is that the fountain be built large enough to be safe and functional. The children's main interest is in just having fun. The art feature would be a nice addition, but of little interest to most of the young children who would play in the fountain"

At some point in the process, due to artist's budget issues ( I think) the fountain was made smaller than the original plans called for. Ms. Morrow had expressed concerns she'd rather have the fountain back at its original size and less expansive art. I agree with her.

No comments: