Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Kash N' Karry

There is a conversation going on in our neighborhood email list about the Kash N' Karry at Nebraska and MLK.

Our neigborhood was asked by Kash N' Karry to to participate in that store's very first "Neighborhood Cultural Food Festival" held on Saturday, January 8, 2005. There was some diagreement at that time as to whether we should participate because people had issues with the store.

Basically people, including myself, felt that the store was dirty inside and outside, disorganized and the staff exhibited poor customer service skills sometimes to the point of being rude. Instead of acknowledging and talking to the customer, staff would talk to friends while dealing with the customer. One person commented that they had a "record of neighborhood irresponsibility" and "the service is the worst of any grocery store I know." A marked contrast was made with how good things were at the Publix on Nebraska and Idlewild.

Our concerns were expressed to the corporate office. It was decided to participate after they agreed to look into the issues. One person commented:

"Corporate America will usually respond to assessments of their properties from neighborhoods. Their objective is to entice us to shop with them. They need to know what offends you when you go into their store, attempting to shop and hoping for a more pleasant experience with each visit. Oftentimes, we are very disappointed. Let them know how you feel, both at the local and at the corporate levels."

6 months later we are being asked by KNK corporate management if things have improved at the store.

Responses so far have been:

"I RARELY go to Kash N' Karry after going consistently the first year they opened...I stopped in this Saturday - it was CLEAN, well-stocked, there were only two lines open, but I went up front where the girl was friendly and professional, and was out within minutes."

"The store is generally clean... however, the parking lot is always a mess and security needs to patrol the parking lot better. You can never get through the lot due to all of the cars parked illegally in the fire zone. I stopped shopping there because it is too hard to get around all of these cars. I can't figure out why the security guard does not ask them to move. They also have a consistent problem with expired milk and dairy products."

"........the last time we went in it seemed that the cash registers were working better. It was not as slow to get out as it used to be. All of the cars parking up front is an irritation (and illegal) and I don't doubt the issue with the expired dairy products. It's not a very inviting place to shop, so we still got to Publix even though K&K is in a more convenient location. It's just so much better. It's as if K&K doesn't care about our neighborhood enough to really make dramatic improvements. I've been into some really nice Kash & Karrys. Why not this one?"

"The cars parked illegally in the fire zone is a serious issue at this store. .........have had several instances of expired dairy products, including milk and ice cream. The parking lot is always a mess and the service continues to be non-existent. I would give a tip to the cashier who actually acknowledged my presence in the line. "

"I tried the store once after it was supposed to have improved. It only confirmed to me that there are far better places to spend my money. The only way anyone is nice in that store is if I happen to get in the line run by Vanessa, whom I know. Otherwise, clients and employees all seem to feel no need to even be cordial. The gauntlet you have to run to get into the store is not worth going in. I would never even consider buying any kind of perishable from that store. Dry dog & cat food is safe, but beyond that,,,,,,,,,you run a risk! All and all, I find myself far more comfortable at Publix where they are friendly, helpful, and it is easy to park and get in. This gives me no reason to "try" to like this particular Kash and Karry. BTW, I was a big K & K shopper before moving here! Both of the K & K stores in this area are dogs!!"

"I haven't had the problem w/ expired dairy products, but I generally buy them elsewhere, anyway, so I wouldn't. The produce and meat seem fresh."

So far it seems the responses are a mixed bag.

No comments: