Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Snipe Signs

The Trib did an article today on the city of Tampa cracking down on snipe signs in the right of way.

Good.

I regularly pull up snipes signs on my way to work or around the neighborhood. I got 3 this morning. My rules on snipes signs are: I do not remove current yard sale signs. I do not remove political signs during political season. I do not touch roadside memorials. I do not touch signs for a specific house for sale. Every thing else is up for grabs.

(I want to know why are they called snipe signs? A snipe is a long legged wading bird.)

One of the worst offenders has been K-mart. In the last few months they were posting percent off and sale signs every weekend on the rights of ways in surrounding streets, both at the store at Waters and Florida and in Carollwood.

Of course there are websites for people fed up. http://www.stopsnipesigns.com/ and http://www.causs.org/



4 comments:

Jay McGee said...

What about current "For Rent" signs for a specific house? I think you should advise people to leave those alone, too. It only seems as far as what you do for the "For Sale" signs.

As for the term "snipe," I would suggest that with some imagination, one could picture the sign on a (one) stick resembling a wading bird.

David Scott Banghart said...

I never touch anything that is on someone's own property.

Any for rent signs on telephone poles I leave alone just as I do for sale signs on telephone poles.

cookie christine said...

When I was a kid growin' up in Kansas, we used to con our friends into going
snipe hunting.

Boy, those were the good 'ol days.

Anonymous said...

Great work on the snipe signs, we call em bandit signs here in the Houston, TX area and we have tons. Gotta admire your guts as an realtor against these signs, too many resort to using em around here.

whoppers27@no.spam.hotmail.com