Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Positive Stories and Press Releases

In a previous post there was a discussion about the need for positive press stories for Seminole Heights. I indicated that these stories don't get in the paper by themselves, that we need to alert the media of these stories.

Case in point. I missed an opportunity to get some press out of a recent porch party. This porch party has evolved into the Southeast Seminole Heights Second Annual Chili Cookoff. Mike and Joel host the party. They recruit neighbors to cook their best chili recipes. Each neighbors pays $10 to enter their chili. The other neighbors judge the chili and the winner gets a $100.00. So far the winners have donated their winnings to charity. This year 10 neighbors suplied chili and more than 50 neighbors went to the party. This would have made a great story that we might have been able to get print and TV media to do a story. But I did not think of it until too late.

There are several ways we can alert the media. One is via any personal contacts. However most often we many not know all of the media folks involved. This could be most effective if we were to write press releases.

Here are some links I have found. As I read them and do library reading on the subject I will revisit this issue. I have just been appointed the Public Information Officer for the Southeast Seminole Heights Civic Association, so I have a lot of reading to do. If you have better links or comments please do your usual and say something. Perhaps our news media folks who live inthe neighbrhood can add some insights.

I always think, "What is the hook? Why is this something someone would want to read in the paper or watch on TV?

Dr. Randall Hansen's Guide to Writing Successful Press Releases - from Stetson University
- A Barebones Guide to Writing Successful Press Releases
- A Publicity Primer, by Kirk Hallahan.

Articles from ImediaFax
- Ten Tips For Using E-Mail To Get More News Coverage and Publicity
-Getting More Publicity for Fund Raising Activities
-What goes in an online media kit?

3 comments:

YesterDazed said...

This is great information...thanks Scott! It's so good, it bears repeating!;-)

Anonymous said...

YES! Ditto to what Sherry said.

Thanks Scott- I will be trying to remember to do this every time I launch something at SeminoleHeights.com.

David Scott Banghart said...

Let me know also about anything you launch on SeminoleHeights.com and I will note it on the blog.