Thursday, December 29, 2005

Hispanics in Seminole Heights

There is a discussion going on Never Take It All that led me do some research about our population breakdowns.

I went to the census website to get some numbers.

2000 Census
City of Tampa
Population 303,447
2004 estimate 306,547
Race/ethnicity Numbers - % of total
White 194,871 - 64.2
Black or African American 79,118 - 26.1

Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 58,522 -19.3
2004 estimate 67,488

In Central Tampa and Seminole Heights the numbers differ

In the maps below the darker green the color the higher percentage of hispanics, the lighter yellow the lesser percentage.













As you can see, there is a very large percentage of hispanics to the west of Seminole Heights ranging from 30 to 50% of the population with a pocket of 58 to 74%. On the average, most of Seminole Heights has 11- 20% and southern Seminole Heights has 21-34%. Bear in mind these are 2000 percentages. Based on the 2004 estimates and my visual observations, these percentages could be higher.

Later I will report on the white black percentages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abuela's parking lot is always jam packed and they are very nice and they are more than just a meat market. The place is clean and friendly and I for one (perhaps because I am a Cuban in the midst of renovating my kitchen in Seminole Heights) am proud to welcome them to our neighborhood. My family and I have survived this kitchen renovation thanks to the wonderful and generous portions of to go food that we pick up each day after work at abuela's.
In addition, our neighbor, a block off of Central, is in the process of renovating his second home in Seminole Heights and he too is Cuban.