Monday, December 17, 2007

Building Makeover


I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but as I see more of this building's original structure (as it goes through renovations), I'm starting to get a bit excited.


Seems this building, which sits on the NW corner of MLK and Florida Ave., is actually a brick building with huge functional and/or decorative archs built into its exterior walls.


I have no idea what this place use to look like or be, but I can certainly imagine how it could look and add to the historic feel of the community.


It may be hard to see (due to poor quality of camera phone), but perhaps you can visualize it too in this pic.

2 comments:

David H said...

According to my father Henry Hansen who has lived in the neighborhood for 76 years said it was a beautiful drug store that had a lunch counter/soda fountain that ran almost the length of the building. It had beautiful palladian windows and a spanish influnce in its architecture. There is a photo in the Burgert Bros collection that shows the building in all its glory in the 1940's.....why dis some many beautiful Tampa buildings end up like this!

David

Shawn said...

Freeways to cheap suburban land. It drains the middle class out of the cities.