Monday, November 07, 2005

A Thug Returns

I received an email below about a threat to the neighborhood.
Jeffrey Hugh Burgess, DOB: 04/28/1962

Here are some of his arrests:
1990 - Petty Theft
1990 - Robbery/ Petit Theft
1992 - Trespass
1993 - Battery (Domestic Violence)
1997 - Robbery (Firearm)
1997 - Obstructing Opposing Officer
1997 - Trespass Occupied Structure
2000 - Battery
2000 - Trespass/Battery/Petit Theft
2003 - Obstructing Opposing Officer
2004 - Obstructing Opposing Officer/Trespass Occupied Structure







http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/default.asp?/Online/qdisp/bn=04021241


After a bit of a hiatus, Jeff Burgess has returned to plague our neighborhood.
He’s a black male, in his 40s, bald, about 6-4" 220 pounds. For those that don’t know this individual, his typical MO is to befriend the elderly and single women. He
offers to wash your car or cut your grass or do some chore for you. Later, he
becomes violent and demands more money. He has made veiled threats that can’t be prosecuted such as “I’ll just come back later when you least expect it”. He’s
made veiled threats at people’s children, as well.

Having forgot the run in we’ve had with him in the past, this thug returned to my home on Saturday at 2:45 pm. Before he could knock on the door, I told him to leave my property immediately. He refused so we called 911. He eventually left but spit on the side of my house and then made more threats like “I’ll be back later” and
invited me down to lake to fight him. He went down to the lake and stood for 10
minutes and then finally left down Nebraska.

I have to say, that even though we called 911, the response took over a half hour and by then he was long gone.

This person is dangerous. He’s been arrested for trespass and domestic violence. We’ve flyered the neighborhood once before asking people not to give money to people that solicit door to door. You should be on look out and tell your people to call the police immediately when he comes around. Especially caution those who might be helping him. They’re doing no favors for them or their neighbors because he always comes back to get more.
Here are some messages from prior run-ins.

" j and i just had a guy walk up to us while we werein the front yard. he offered to wax j's car. . . . . . this guy has been hitting up people in old seminole heights where he would wash cars, mow lawns, etc., of elderly or single women, then "extort" them for money and/or take money, phones, etc. from vehicles. one gold upper tooth with a "J" engraved on it. he had on green shorts and a virginia tech t-shirt with black tennis shoes. he was carrying a small carry-on type bag that i guess had all of his car cleaning accessories in it. he gave us a story about how he's been arrested a few times, he has a bum knee and has a ten year old daughter."

" His name is Jeff Burgess and he has a record of petit theft and domestice violence. He has threatened the safety of a few children and single women in the neighborhood. Definately an unsavory character! His address of record is the Loma Linda Hotel on Nebraska Ave. Grid 59 has so many issues with him that we flyered the whole neighborhood to warn people of "hiring help off the street"

"That certainly sounds like the guy that has been harrassing people here in our neighborhood (Grid 59). Keep an eye on this guy, he starts off nice and then turns violent to extort money from people."
Do everyone in the neighborhood a favor. Share this info. Tell them to have nothing to do with this guy or else someone could get hurt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, we live off of Tampa Street and have "hired" him several times to detail our SUV. He seemed to be a very friendly and honest person. This is really frightening to hear about him because I have two young children who would actually "help" him with the cleaning. They even knew him by name.
I also experienced a time when he became very angry because my husband did not want him to detail the vehicle that particular week. I had no idea this seemingly "nice" guy was actually a criminal. Thanks for the helpful information. I will definitely pass this on.

Anonymous said...

Ironically, three days after reading this, Senor Burgess shows up at my doorstep. I answer the door and he takes one look at me - I'm a pretty big guy - and turns around and walks off without saying a word. Very strange. I took a drive around the neighborhood after he left and couldn't find him. It's like he disappeared.


I'm glad my wife and two-year-old weren't home alone.


I live near Epps Park so he's not just bothering folks in SE Seminole Heights.

Anyway thanks alot for the vigilance and warning. I'll post if I see him again.

YesterDazed said...

This guy showed up at my shop, Sherry's YesterDaze, 5207 N. Florida, tonight. He came right at closing time, 6 p.m. He asked if I was closing because when he walked up I was taking in the furniture from the outside. I did not immediately recognize him. I told him he could go ahead in the shop and look around. I was not alone, my son was working with customers at the counter.
This man is very tall, fairly slender and looks much younger than 40's. He had a bandana on his head. The feature that really caught my eye was his front gold tooth (I did not see the "J").
It was not until he asked if I wanted my car cleaned that the red flag went up for me. He was friendly, but I told him my vehicle was fairly new to me and was still pretty clean.
He said something like I shouldn't wait too long to clean it. Then he walked away, heading east on Frierson.
I wanted to let everyone know he's still in the neighborhood.