Sunday, April 17, 2005

Stories about Pat Chamburs

In my posting about Pat Chamburs retiring JoEllen Schilke left a comment that there is going to be a party for Pat Chamburs "probably at the end of May, when his many fans can come and tell him in person about all the love they have for him."

I'd like to honor Pat Chamburs for all the years of pleasure he gave us listeners.

If you have some fond memories of Pat Chamburs at WMNF or at any of the other radio stations he worked at (WFLA, WDAE, WYNG-WABA) please add them as comments to this post. Was there a particular show you really enjoyed? Did something memorable occurred while listening to his show? Was there a song he played you really liked? Do you have a funny story about him? Were you a student at UT when he ran the bookstore and club nearby and have something interesting to tell? For that party I would like to collect comments to give to Pat Chamburs. ( I keep saying Pat Chamburs instead of Pat because I never met him, except by listening to the radio. To call him Pat feels disrespectful and to call him Mr. Chambers sounds so formal after years of listening to him.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember listening to Pat Chamburs during my early years in radio, when he was at WDAE and at WILZ and was amazed at his knowledge of Jazz, he did me a great service by turning me on to an incredible genre of music.

In later years, I caught him on Wed nights at WMNF and was delighted to be able to hear him again. I will miss him dearly in retirement, as before him there were none, and I am sure after him there shall be no more.

Top of the line, truly class personified.

God bless

Teddy
http://www.teddwebb.com
http://www.teddwebbstrivia.com

Anonymous said...

Pat Chamburs helped shape my sense of qualiity in broadcasting in the early days of my career. I was a trainee at WILZ in '64-'65 and Pat was the evening host on Radio WILZ. It was Pat who announced my Silver Mic Award over the air waves... a thrilling moment for me. I will always be grateful for Pat's cool manner, innate professionalism, and patience. And don't even get me started about Pat's parties and the 30 gallon trash cans filled to the brim with a potent concoction he called "hunch punch", the stuff that created an equal playing field in short order..

Lucky me. I got to be in the same building with Pat Chamburs when he worked. Enjoy your retirement, Pat, it is well deserved. And thanks.

Chuck Alton (chuckalton@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Wednesday night became one of my favorite evenings because Pat Chambers would be on. No matter what my husband and I chose to do on a Wednesday, we tuned in to Pat's show at home or on the road. He strongly influenced our taste in music and our collection now includes a great many old time jazz greats. One of our favorite shows was his Christmas program where you were sure to hear Louis Armstrong inquiring about Zat Santa, and Eartha Kitt snarling at old Santa Baby. We knew Pat would retire one day, but dreaded that time. Wednesday eveings will never be the same.

Anonymous said...

I moved back to Tampa last year, and knew that WMNF needed to be part of my new life here...I went to volunteer at the station, and I still work their live shows whenever I can.

I quickly discovered that Pat's show was a non-negotiable scheduling point in my week... That is, I would PLAN to be home, and listening, come Wednesday evenings.

I am seriously saddened at the loss of his voice and his musical choices from our beloved non-profit airwaves... But very grateful to have caught him while I could. Thank you, Mr. Chamburs...for ALL of it. You did amazing work!

Jenny

Larry Chamburs said...

My husband and Pat Chamburs are brothers my husband is Larry Edward Chamburs. Their father was Patrick Murphy Chamburs. Larry has never met his brother Pat. His birthday is Feb. 28, born in Largo Florida in 1957. For his birthday I would like to contact Pat by mail, in person or by phone however. Larry has questions about their family that Pat could help with. Is there a way you can contact him and let him know that he does have a younger brother that would be honored to meet him.
Thank you,
Vicki Chamburs

David Scott Banghart said...

I would contact WMNF radio (www.wmnf.org) and see if someone like JoEllen Schilke could assist.