Thursday, December 22, 2005

Running Through Tampa and avoiding dogs

Running Through Tampa has a recent post about trying to avoid getting dog bit. He was on Ola south of Broad. He says:

"“Sir, can you please call your dogs,” and he gives a half-assed whistle to
which the animals simply cock their heads momentarily before returning their
growling, teeth-baring attentions to me. “Don’t worry, they won’t bite you,” he
says, obviously annoyed.This is possibly the stupidest thing that anyone could
say about his or her animals. “They won’t bite” is right up there with “Hey
y’all watch this” for famous redneck last words."


Well, other dogs did bite someone in the neighborhood recently, in area of the 1300 block of Park Circle.



My husband and I were walking on the sidewalk. A couple of dogs were barking in a chain link fence. We came to the end of the fence and saw these other two dogs trying to get into the back yard of a house. The dogs turned toward us, we knew instantly we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. We stopped and everything I have ever learned about dogs went through my mind. The dogs walked toward us, started growling and one of them jumped up and bit me on the cheek, corner of my mouth and under my chin.

This was the most terrifying thing that has ever happened to me. I cannot imagine what would have happened if I had fallen down or if I was a small child. I am a dog lover, and until the last few years I have owned dogs, usually large ones. I have never feared them, but know to respect them. These dogs attacked! We were lucky that the Parks and Recreation employee was driving by and witnessed the whole thing.

The Parks and Rec person was later able to keep them away from us, because they kept trying to come towards us as we waited for the police. One of the Police Officers said that the dogs had attempted to attack him when he was attempting to capture the dogs. I do not blame the dogs, but I do blame the owners.
Hillsborough County Animal Control has a Dogbite Prevention Program


These requirements apply only to animals that have bitten, chased or threatened
people, companion animals, or livestock without provocation. An unprovoked
incident shall be one where the victim, who has been conducting himself or
herself peacefully and lawfully, has been bitten, chased in a menacing fashion,
or attacked by a companion animal. Not every animal that has bitten, chased or
threatened once would be placed here - if an attack is of sufficient magnitude
some will be placed under investigation as a 'Dangerous Dog'.

Fines for an initial unprovoked vicious incident will increase to $450. The fine will be
reduced to $25 if the owner provides proof of each of the following prior to the
citation's hearing date:

Obedience training, with a graduation certificate
Current health examination from a veterinarian
Proof of spay/neuter, either prior to or after the incident
Microchip registered to the owner at their current address
Receive responsible ownership training at Animal Services
A misdemeanor criminal complaint can be filed if the owner
of the dog had prior knowledge of the dog's dangerous propensities, yet
demonstrated a reckless disregard for such propensities under the circumstances.
They have a Dog Bite Prevention Guidebook for Kids.

They used to have list of Bad Dogs but I can't find it.

No comments: